Volcano Fried Rice
With a naturally fragrant and nutty aroma, and its fiber-rich bran layer, Volcano Rice makes excellent fried rice richer in taste, and crispier texture. This recipe is very special because it uses one of Indonesia's unique traditional herb-spices, Kemferia Galanga, or Kencur in Indonesian language, with a camphor-ginger-galangal-like aroma. Just a little Kencur is all you need to give this fried rice a distinctive edge that will make everyone eating it wonder how you can cook your fried rice with such a wonderful aroma.
Preparation Time : 15 Mins Cooking Time : 45 MinsReady in : 60 Mins Servings : 3-4 People
Quantity and Ingredients :
- 300 g Volcano Rice
- 2 eggs
- 5 cloves garlic
- 8 cloves shallots
- 2 small red chilies (or more/less according to your taste)
1cm peeled kencur. This can be substituted by 3 cm galangal
8 pieces of kaffir lime leaves break into halves
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp grounded black pepper
5 tbsp rice bran oil or vegetables oil
- Rinse and cook Volcano Rice according to its instructions.
- Meanwhile, pound garlic, shallots, chilies, candlenut, and kencur in a pestle and mortar until smooth, or alternatively use a food processor.
- Heat oil in a wok in a med-high heat, and subsequently add the made spice paste, salt, and pepper. Fry until the spices are fragrant for about 3 minutes.
- Add kaffir lime leaves, and cook for another 2 minutes until spices are well cooked.
- Turn heat to high, and add cooked Volcano Rice, until well combined for 3 minutes.
- Crack eggs one by one into the wok, and stir quickly so the eggs coat the rice evenly.
- TIPS: to make the rice crispier, stop stirring and leave it in the heat for a minute. The bottom rice will get crispy. With your frying spatula, take a small section rice and flip the crispy bottom part to the top. The more you repeat this, the more parts of the rice will get crispy.