Arenga Sugar Butter Cake
An incredible butter cake from one Sunria Arenga Sugar fan, Ms Freda. She explained, "The type and quality of sugar really matters when baking! I used Sunria’s low-GI Arenga sugar, which smells like toasted coconutty caramel heaven, and it elevated the simple butter cake to a beautifully brown crumb-licking delight." This cake is sure to melt everyone's heart!
Quantity and Ingredients :
- 1 cup (227g) butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups Sunria Arenga sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup rice bran/canola oil or similar
- ¼ cup Sunria Arenga sugar (to taste)
- ¼ cup (55g) butter, cubed
- ¼ cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar well until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and oil. Combine and sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 175°C for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely. Yield 12-14 servings.